Thursday, September 9, 2010

Poseidon the Turtle!

We have a new addition to Mr. Lewis' classroom... a box turtle named Poseidon.  She is 15 years old, loves to eat mealworms and hang out under a warm lamp.  Poseidon comes courtesy of a teacher who was going overseas for a while and needed a home for the reptile.  A third grade parent emailed me a couple of weeks ago, and I thought she would be a great addition to our classroom, especially since we are currently studying life cycles.  My supply managers in third and fourth grade will be responsible for feeding her and cleaning her tank.  If you are interested in helping us by providing food for Poseidon, you can visit our class wiki.  In addition to mealworms, she likes berries and lettuce. 

19 comments:

  1. Poseidon is sooo cute! Thank you for taking care of this lovely tutle. - Izzie and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea turtles lived that long! When Mr. Lewis told me Poseidon was fifteen years old I was in shock. Do all turtles live such long lives? Perhaps some knds of turtles live longer than others. I need to do some reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michaela is so excited, she can't stop talking about Poseidon. We checked some resources and now know there are some huge turtles in Galapagos Islands that are over 100 years old. I wonder if turtle years are like dog years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. poseidon is cute! we saw her eat she chewed and chewed! I love poseidon.




    MRC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Poseidon makes a wonderful class pet.Were so lucky to have poseidon as a class pet.I injoy having poseidon in our class. JBS

    ReplyDelete
  6. SHE IS SO COOL I LIKE HOW SHE ITS THE MEALWORMS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poseidon is epic when she eats mealworms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    n.y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scientists... there are some great questions here. How are you going to find the answers? Do turtles have teeth? Do turtles go by dog years? See if you can find the answers and report back on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also had no idea turtles live so long. O'neil has been asking for one but I'M not sure about that now. :)
    Thank you for adopting Poseidon into your classroom. I know all of the kids will take good care her.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I reserched and Poisidon does not have teeth! She uses her very powerful jaws!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr.Lewis how old do boxturtles live?

    ReplyDelete